The Catholic funeral rites highlight several important beliefs and values that the church affirms in its funeral practice, including:
* the sacredness of all human life;
* the dignity of the person;
* the resurrection of Jesus Christ;
* the respect that is to be shown for the bodies of the dead;
* the importance of remembering the dead and offering prayers for them;
* and the need for the Church to provide a ministry of consolation for those who mourn.
“The Mass, the memorial of Christ’s death and resurrection, is the principal celebration of the Christian funeral.” [Order of Christian Funerals, 5]